Gilles Berthoud “Touring” Saddles
The new standard in tensioned leather saddles. In stock for immediate delivery!
• The saddle is made from thick, natural vegetable tanned leather. It is claimed to be pre-softened and waterproof (but I personally soften it further with Mink oil, despite their advice not to).
• The bolt assemblies at the rear of the saddle aren’t on the top surface, where you might sit on them if you slide back on your saddle. But instead the bolts are off the back edge, out of the way.
• Rear crescent made with technical material which provides solidity and flexibility for maximum comfort (tough polycarbonate frame, which is reportedly more forgiving than steel found on most other tensioned leather saddles).
• Loops for saddle bag.
• Grooves for fitting a KLICKfix system.
• Very easily dissembling thanks to an ingenious system made with stainless screws which fit into special-sharped brass washers. The cone-sharped washer fits into the leather avoiding any risk of damage.
• Long straight parts for the best adjustment you need.
• Patented tension system avoiding the nose twisting.
• No special tool for adjusting the tension, just a 5mm Allen key is needed (turn clockwise to tighten, when viewed from the front).
• Each saddle with an unique number engraving on the nose washer.
My first impression is that while these saddles are claimed to be pre-softened, I personally took measures to soften it a lot more to achieve “plug and play” performance (see the “breaking in saddles’ link on our main saddle category heading page). I used the Aravis during the summer of 2012 for a 1200K and other shorter ride. It was a dream to ride on. See my blog for full details.
Jan Heine of Bicycle Quarterly, published a glowing review of their touring model in the Spring 2009 issue of his magazine.
Aspin weight (claimed, varies per saddle): 500 g (17.6 oz.)
Aravis weight (verified, varies per saddle): 413 g (14.5 oz.)
Dimensions: Width across the back is 157mm and the length is 278mm
Aspin model: rails made with polished stainless spring steel.
Aravis model: rails made with Titanium for weight savings.
eoGEAR SKU # 6532
Made in France