Gilles Berthoud “Racing” Saddles
The new standard in tensioned leather saddles. In stock for immediate delivery!
• This is Gilles Berthoud narrow “Racing” series, designed for those who ride in a more forward or leaning position
• The saddle is made from thick, natural vegetable tanned leather. They are claimed to be pre-softened and waterproof (but I personally soften it further with Mink oil, despite their advice not to use oils on their saddles).
• The bolt assemblies at the rear of the saddle aren’t on the top surface, where you might sit on them if you slide back on your saddle. But instead the bolts are off the back edge, out of the way.
• Rear crescent made with technical material which provides solidity and flexibility for maximum comfort (tough polycarbonate frame, which is reportedly more forgiving than steel found on most other tensioned leather saddles).
• Very easily dissembling thanks to an ingenious system made with stainless screws which fit into special-sharped brass washers. The cone-sharped washer fits into the leather avoiding any risk of damage.
• Long straight parts for the best adjustment you need.
• Patented tension system avoiding the nose twisting.
• No special tool for adjusting the tension, just a 5mm Allen key is needed (turn clockwise to tighten, when viewed from the front).
• Each saddle with an unique number engraving on the nose washer.
• No KLICKfix system on this model.
I have not yet had a chance to try out these new saddles, however Jan Heine of Bicycle Quarterly, published a glowing review of the Gilles Berthoud touring saddle in the Spring 2009 issue of his magazine.My first impression is that while these saddles are claimed to be pre-softened, I would still take measures to soften it a little more, if you are looking for “plug and play” performance (see the Haldeman link on our main saddle category heading page).
Soulor weight (claimed, varies per saddle): 415 g (14.6 oz.)
Galibier weight (claimed, varies per saddle): 325 g (11.5 oz.). Our sample weighed in at 354 g.
Dimensions: Width across the back is 146mm and the length is 278mm
Soulor model: Rails made with polished stainless spring steel.
Galibier model: Rails made from Titanium for weight savings.
eoGEAR SKU #6533