eoGEAR Hydra Chest Harness Complete
This hydration chest pack was designed for SUP (stand-up paddleboarding), and backcountry skiing (aka skimo). It is also useful for alpine or nordic skiing, hiking, trail running or those riding snow machines. This package includes the 2707 Hydra Chest Module attached to the 2581 Rear Y-Harness (which has 25mm/1" unpadded over-the-shoulder webbing so a backpack can be comfortably worn on top of it).
- The chest module has three pockets—
- Zippered gusseted pocket (lower right when worn): for an avalanche beacon, snacks, point & shoot camera &/or car keys
- Zippered slip pocket (upper right): for a smartphone (there is a thin piece of closed-cell foam between the two right pockets to protect electronics from banging together.)
- Mesh pocket (left): for a hydration container; it has an elastic drawcord with a cord lock. Ideally, use a 550 mL container, but will hold up to 650 mL.
- Also included is a webbing slot for mounting your GPS or fitness watch in front. This is useful when skiing with gloves with long gauntlets which typically covers your GPS. This is also very helpful for SUP as it is difficult to view a watch on your wrist when paddling.
- The chest module is adjustable vertically with a locking Swedish-made cam buckle that doesn’t slip out of adjustment when removed.
- The torso strap of the Y-Harness has elastic built-in to provide some “give” while exercising and breathing hard.
- The base price DOES NOT include hydration bottle or flask, which are available separately.
- For additional capacity or for stashing your beacon out of the way (leaving more room up front), consider getting an Equinox Pack Pocket and attaching it on the “under the armpit“ strap.
For SUP Use: Get rid of that hot & sweaty backpack! This product provides a hands-free hydration solution without the hassle of using a hydration bladder. If your smartphone is IPX 6/7 rated you can carry it in the phone compartment without fear as these phones are designed to take quick dunkings. The larger zippered pocket can be used to stow nutrition, car keys etc. Typically, a flask with a straw is best for SUP, so one can drink hands free.
For Skiing or Snowmobile Use: This product is designed to replace the beacon harness that most backcountry skiers or snowmobilers already wear. One problem with backcountry skiing is that your water bottle is buried in your pack and inaccessible. Carrying it on the outside of the pack, typically on the left shoulder strap, as with skimo racers, is problematic as the bottle can freeze. With this product, it is typically worn against your base layer and is kept from freezing. Also, some bottle or bladder bite-valves freeze, so consider one with a push/pull valve like many bike bottles.
Carrying a smartphone for taking photos in an outside pocket of a jacket quickly kills the battery life. For alpine skiing, nutrition can be placed in the beacon pocket as a beacon is not typically used for in-bound skiing or boarding.
Avalanche Beacon Warning: most experts agree that having a smartphone in normal operating mode does not interfere with beacon transmission (i.e. if you were to be buried), but may interfere when it is in search mode. We recommend putting your phone in airplane mode if/when a search is necessary...or place your phone in your backpack, some 7" / 20cm away from your beacon.
For Running Use: The larger zippered pocket is used to stow nutrition, car keys etc. Typically a flask or a bottle with or without a straw can be used.
Check out this cool SUP review on the SUP Connect site (Dec. 2018)!
710g (7.5 oz.) for the front & back modules, but w/o a bottle or flask
Fits a typical-sized avalanche beacon or nutrition, a moderate-sized smartphone (up to 75x150mm / 3x5-3/4" in size like the 2018 iPhone X shown) and a hydration container up to 650 mL (20 oz.), including most bike bottles.
Product photos are shown with metal zipper pulls. The final productional models have a non-corrosive plastic zipper pull (a needed feature for those paddling in salt water).
25 w x 21 h cm (9.8" w x 8.25" h) for the chest module portion
Fits most athletes...
...from about 165cm to 196cm (5' 5" to 6' 5") with a chest size from 61 to 122cm (24 to 48")
eoGEAR SKU # 2707-COM (no bottle)
eoGEAR SKU # 2707-KIB (w/ 550 mL hybrid bottle)
eoGEAR SKU # 2707-KIF (w/ 500 mL soft flask)