eoGEAR Rolltop SeatBag™ 10.0
For years we have been struggling on how to make a high-volume seat bag that will fit on smaller bicycle frames—finally, this design accomplishes that!
This bag is similar to the Rolltop SeatBag™ 9.0 (which it replaced) except it has the following improvements:
- It is designed to provide more clearance above the rear tire, thus working with smaller bicycle frames.
- The opening of the “roll top" seals with Velcro.
- It has slightly more volume (10 liters).
- It uses a seatpost attachment system that has no moving parts.
This bag is part of the eoGEAR SeatBag family — a system for the self-sufficient cyclist or randonneur. It features an easy-to-use roll-top “dry bag style” opening with one large compartment and three additional outside pockets. The available colors are black with gray accent side panels or black with red accent. Other colors by request for an additional fee. Unlike the eoGEAR RandoBags, this bag does not require a separate saddle bracket or adapter as the necessary hardware is already attached.
- The bag is very compressible — on some rides you need to add or remove layers of clothing (i.e. swing season rides or night riding) and the bag squishes down, so the remaining contents don’t rattle around, similar to an internal-frame backpack. Near the bottom of the bag is a pair of Velcro-like straps that squish down the bottom of the bag, providing more clearance for smaller bicycle frames, down to approx. 50cm.
- Two pockets: one flat mesh pocket and a gusseted zippered pocket on the back side. The gusseted pocket uses heavy-duty #8 water-repellent zipper.
- There are extra D-rings for attaching additional straps, gear or apparel.
- The rear of the bag accepts a Reflective Triangle (though because of the angle of this bag it may be be totally effective).
- The bag attaches in three places: first, around the seatpost with a German-made “SKS Anywhere Adapter” Velcro-style strap (it has no moving parts to fail), and then secondarily to the rails of the saddle with two nylon straps. The bag attaches to either Brooks or Rivet-brand leather saddles, or most tech/racing saddles, without additional parts. It is designed to work on either round or slightly oval posts. We have yet to test this on very narrow aero seatposts.
- The bag is reinforced with a stiff HDPE framesheet which give the bag shape and prevents it from sagging and then touching the rear tire.
- It is constructed of a combination of 6.5 oz. 420-denier Nylon Diamond Ripstop and 420D pack cloth. Both have a water-repellent coating on the inside of the fabric — we don’t use cheap polyester fabrics like some imported bags. Because the seams are not seam sealed the bag is not waterproof, hence we offer a waterproof insert (which can carried into your overnight stops if desired).
- Gray-colored webbing used for the compression strap for easy of use in dim light.
- Reflective tape on the sides and rear of the bag.
- Also visit the owners personal blog page for the design background of why he created this series of bags
An Equinox Horizontal Pack Pocket can be attached on the front side of the bag, under the saddle. It will yield almost a liter of storage space: ideal for crushable items like a pair of glasses, an extra tube or a very lightweight vest. (This may rub the back of some people’s thighs...experimentation is advised).
Ideally, this bag requires 18cm (7") of clearance from the rails of your saddle to the top of your rear tire or fender. If you only have 14.6cm (5-3/4") of clearance it will work, but ONLY if you use the following “suck in” 1) the bottom of the bag with the sew-in Velcro compression straps and 2) the middle of the bag (especially) using the optional and free, red compression strap (SKU 2458). For further information on this view our YouTube videos (link below). Frames smaller than 52 or 54cm may not work with this bag may rub on your rear wheel. Also see this page for more info on tire clearance of various saddle bags.
When attaching the bag to your bike, first attach the clamp/strap to the seatpost and wrap it around twice. Be sure that it is very snug. About half the weight of the bag should be on the seatpost. The adapter has a rubber lining, so it can safely used with carbon-fiber posts.
Rants & Raves
“Thanks for a terrific product! Finally a bag system that holds as much stuff as a rack, but without the rack! I really like that the bag doesn’t rub against my thighs, even though I mount the bag on the front of the board.” (D.W. from Davis, Calif., Sept. 2011 regarding the RandoBag 6.8).
Weight: 410 g (14.5 oz.)
Volume: 10.0 liters or 610 cu in. The volume of main compartment is 9.5 liters w/ 2 folds on top; the back zippered pocket adds .5 liter. The volume of the bag is based on folding or rolling the top of the bag twice—you can only roll it once and/or clip the top two buckles together like a dry bag (and then connect the side straps to themselves in front of the bag, in which case you can gain about another liter or so of volume. See our instructional video for more detail on this).
Bag dimensions (approx. HxWxD): 44* x 19 x 12.75cm (17.3* x 7.5 x 5.0"). *With the top rolled over twice
The fabric of this bag is waterproof, but due to stitching the bags, water may seep through the seams. We recommend using an internal dry bag for keeping critical items dry.
SKU # 3100-GIA (gray & black) or 3100-RIA (red & black)
Designed and Crafted in the USA