Journeyman Modular Pack attaches to this frame for expanding your carrying capacity.
This pack frame is designed to go hand in hand with the Journeyman Modular Pack. The Journeyman pack is rather small for overnight trips. The P017 adds carrying capacity. It is also taller than the Journeyman, so those with a tall torso will find it provides a more comfortable ride when carrying gear for long distances. This is a double-wide, instead of triple-wide like the P019. It is lighter with no internal foam stiffeners (and lighter aluminum staves). Because of the the narrower design, a tripod cannot be mounted next to the long lens case or Journeyman Pack. It is primarily designed for use with the Journeyman pack on multi-day trips where a sleeping bag, tent and foam pad are needed. On day hikes the frame can be jettisoned — then the harness can be attached to the Kinesis Journeyman pack providing you with a lean and mean alpine pack!
Please Note: H255 harnesses can be attached directly to a long lens case and is the common method for converting a long lens into a backpack.
- These frames provide the suspension of a mountaineering internal frame pack.
- A pair of 71cm tall aluminum staves (20mm / 3/4" wide) which are removable and can be custom-bent
- Haul loop
- Vertical lifter straps for the shoulder straps (which relieves the pressure on the upper shoulders)
- Vertically adjustable shoulder straps for a custom fit on both short and tall people
- Adjustable back foam pad and a thick lumbar pad with a breathable lining (the same fabric used on the inside of our belts)
- Two harness sizes and four belt sizes for a custom fit
- Long lens cases can be attached to this frame (but there is no space for a tripod NEXT to the case).
- We have designed a series of special heavy-duty belts for these packs. The belts are easily removable in the field so it can be used independently with various Kinesis pouches attached.
Important Note About Waist Belts
- When using the P017 pack frame with the standard-weight Kinesis Black Belt (B107, B108 etc.) a free B503 adapter is required — please request this when placing your order.
- No adapter is needed if you are using a Heavy-duty belt (B308, B309 etc.) as these belts have “stave pockets” sewn in to them. For loads of 14kg (30 lbs.) or less the standard “Black” belt is OK. For heavier loads we recommend the Heavy-duty Belt.
- Check out this page to view how to fit a backpack to your body.
Warning: If you are using a previously purchased a Heavy-duty Belt (pre-2005), check to insure it has special vertical stitching on the stave pockets, otherwise the staves on the P017-series or P450-series Journeyman pack may slip through the side of this pocket.
Older Heavy Duty belts did not have this feature but can be added to any belt if returned to us for modification.
This is not a problem with the P019 as it uses a wider stave.
Price includes an extra $10 for UPS shipping. This extra amount is waived on will-call or FedEx air orders.
28.25hx9w" 2 lbs. 3 oz. w/ H255 harness but w/o belt.
B308 Lrg Belt adds 10 oz.
72hx23w cm 1 kg w/ H255 harness but w/o belt.
B308 Lrg Belt adds 283 g