This rugged bean bag is for supporting a DSLR, mirrorless or video camera on a vehicle, car window, chair, table, tree limb, fence post or on the ground.
- It is quicker to use than a tripod.
- The bag has a zippered compartment—filler, such as polyethylene beads, buckwheat hulls, rice, beans etc. can added without the need for a liner.
The original SafariSack™ has been in production for over ten years. It has been duplicated by others, but as they say, “copying is the best form of flattery.” However, we felt it was time to tweak this timeless design. In 2014 we made the following changes:
- A side gusset, providing a thicker volume of beads when folded over saddlebag style
- A slightly smaller overall profile, yet thicker where it counts in the center
- Instead of stitching the rubberized-type fabric end to end with the nylon fabric, we have overlaid it on top of the nylon fabrics for much stronger seams and less chance of blow outs.
- Now available in khaki or the classic black (the bottoms are black on both models).
- Slightly rounded ends for easier handling.
- D-rings on the ends for easier carrying over the shoulder with an optional shoulder strap.
- A new smaller sack for shorter glass...the 1.4 model.
- Zippered compartment — the filler can be dumped directly inside without the need for a liner.
- The bottom has a rubberized-style fabric that keeps the sack in place when placed on a vehicle or other slick surface.
- Drape a SafariSack 4.2 over the edge of a partially raised car window, and you have a steady camera support.
- On the safari, it is often used in the flat mode, on top of the RangeRover. With the sewn-in quick-release strap, it can be securely fastened to the rack on the top of the vehicle.
- Shooters traveling abroad take the empty version and fill it locally with rice, beans or bird seed. Then, upon completion of the shoot, dump the contents, returning home with a empty, compact bag.
- Constructed of a combination of 400-denier and 420-denier Diamond Ripstop nylon fabrics. These tough fabrics are supplemented by SlipNot, a rubberize-type fabric.
- Sewn-in hand grab strap. Also use the Y208 (sold as an “add-on” with the old SafariSacks) will clip to the hand strap of this bag extending it for use when you want to use it as longer tie down to the top of a vehicle or as a narrow (20mm) shoulder strap.
- D-rings on the end for attaching nearly any shoulder strap or the optional Y215 (25mm wide) Unpadded Shoulder Strap.
No liner is needed with this bag (unless filled with sand as a ballast). Simply dump filler directly inside — hold the bag vertically and fill (fill to about an inch below the zipper). Depending on the filler, the inside may get dirty. The bag can be inverted and hand washed if desired.
The SafariSack™ 4.2 can be used in three modes:
1) Flat, to support a camera on the ground or on top of a Land Rover or other vehicle.
2) Saddlebag style, by using the two cinch straps for the “folded-in-half” position. (In this mode we recommend only filling the bag about 2/3 full). A camera can be snugly cradled on top, when the bag is placed over a car window or used on the ground for additional elevation.
3) Ballast, adding one of two sacks to your tripod increases stability when using long lenses or in windy conditions. Filled with sand or water, it can be used as a weight to stabilize light stands or booms.
Flat dimensions: 9.4 x 15.7"
Empty weight: 5.0 oz.
Poly filled weight (including the sack): 5 lbs. 8 oz. approx.
Buckwheat filled weight (including the sack): 23 oz. approx.
Recommended fill volume: 260 cu in or 4.4 qts
Flat dimensions: 24 x 40 cm
Empty weight: 144 g
Poly filled weight (including the sack): 2.5 kg approx.
Buckwheat filled weight (including the sack): 660 g approx.
Recommended fill volume: 4.2 liters
If you want to purchase your own poly beads, they can be obtained at a hobby or craft store (i.e. Walmart, Hobby Lobby or Michaels). Poly beads are often used as doll filler or in making stuffed animals. Retail cost at Walmart is about $10 to $13 for 6 lbs. Rice, beans, bird seed, millet and cat litter are alternative fillers. Buckwheat hulls are also sold as "organic mulch" from garden suppliers.
SKU Numbers (this price is for the additional shipping fees for filled sacks, which are included in the displayed amount; will-call orders will not have this extra expense).
Empty SafariSack 4.2:
Black # R427-K
Khaki # R427-H
Buckwheat Filled SafariSack 4.2:
Black # R428-K ($1.50)
Khaki # R428-H ($1.50)
Poly Filled SafariSack 4.2:
Black # R429-K ($3.50)
Khaki # R429-H ($3.50)