eoGEAR Rolltop SeatBag™ 9.0
This new saddlebag is part of the eoGEAR SeatBag family — a system for the self-sufficient cyclist or randonneur. It was introduced in July of 2017. This bag features an easy-to-use roll-top “dry bag style” opening with one large compartment and additional pockets. The available colors are black with gray accent side panels or black with red accent. Other colors by request for an additional fee. Unlike the eoGEAR RandoBags, this bag does not require a separate saddle bracket or adapter — the necessary hardware is already attached.
- The bag is very compressible — once you have removed a lot of the contents, i.e. clothing (i.e. night riding), the bag squishes down, so the remaining contents don't rattle around, similar to an internal-frame backpack.
- Three pockets: two side mesh pockets and a zippered pocket on the back.
- There are two pair of D-rings for attaching additional gear or apparel. One pair is on top near the saddle and another pair is on the rear zippered pocket.
- The rear of the bag accepts the Piggy-back Pocket 2.5 (for more capacity) and/or a Reflective Triangle.
- The bag attaches with the German-made SKS Adapter around the seatpost (only works on round posts) and two Velcro straps that attach to the rails of your saddle. It attaches to either Brooks or Rivet-brand leather saddles or tech saddles without additional parts.
- The lower body of the bag is reinforced with a stiff HDPE framesheet, supplemented by a small piece of 6071-T6 piece of aircraft-grade aluminum. This design greatly minimizes the side-to-side sway that is often seen on other large saddle mounted bags, especially when one stands up to pedal.
- It is constructed of a combination of 6.5 oz. 420-denier Nylon Diamond Ripstop and 420D pack cloth. Both have a water-repellent coating on the inside of the fabric — we don’t use cheap polyester fabrics like some imported bags.
- The pocket uses heavy-duty #8 water-repellent zipper.
- Gray-colored webbing used for the compression strap for easy of use in dim light.
- Reflective tape on the sides and rear of the bag.
- We received one report that with a smallish road frame (52cm) with the maximum saddle set-back, that one’s legs may brush against the bag of the bag.
- Also visit the owners personal blog page for the design background of why he created this series of bags
1) The back (label-side) of the bag has four attachment points for attaching the eoGEAR Piggy-back Pocket 2.5. This will enable you to carry another 2.5 liters of gear. (But it will hang out a little more, so you will have less clearance above your rear tire.)
2) Alternatively, an Equinox Horizontal Pack Pocket can be attached on the front side of the bag yielding about a liter of storage space: ideal for crushable items like a pair of glasses, an extra tube or a very lightweight vest. Ideally this pouch will attach to the side D-rings.
Rear Tire Clearance
You must have at least 17cm (6-3/4") from the top of your rear tire (or fender) to the bottom rails of your saddle. For more details description, visit this page. Frames smaller than 54cm may not work with this bag as the bottom of the bag may rub on the rear wheel. Choose instead, one of the RandoBags, i.e. the RandoBag 8.2 with a Highboy or Supersize bracket. When attaching the Piggy-back Pocket 2.5, clearance will be decreased.
Differences Between the RandoBag 8.2 and this, the 9.0 Bag
- The 9.0 has more pockets for better organization than the 8.2. The zippered pocket on the 9.0 is larger than the 8.2 pocket.
- The 9.0 has two mesh pockets instead of one, with each side.
- The 9.0 has a more trim bottom, providing more clearance above the tire than the 8.2.
- And lastly, the biggest difference is that the attachment hardware is sewn in, so there is no need to have a separate bracket (but consequently the 9.0 will not attach to the Supersize L Bracket, for those with REALLY small frames, i.e. 50cm).
Rants & Raves
“Thanks for a terrific product! Finally a bag system that holds as much stuff as a rack, but without the rack! I really like that the bag doesn't rub against my thighs, even though I mount the bag on the front of the board.” (D.W. from Davis, Calif., Sept. 2011 regarding the RandoBag 6.8).
Weight: 475 g (16.8 oz.)
Total volume: 9.0 liters or 550 cu in. The volume of main compartment is 8.5 liters w/ 2 folds on top; the zippered pocket adds .5 liter. The volume of the bag is based on folding or rolling the bag twice on top—you can only roll it once and/or clip the top two buckles together like a dry bag (and then connect the side straps to themselves in front of the bag, in which case you can gain about another liter or so of volume.
Bag dimensions (approx. HxWxD): 40* x 17 x 12.75cm (15.3* x 6.7 x 5.0"). *With the top rolled over twice.
Designed and Crafted in the USA