C850 — X-Large Holster Case
The C850 is our biggest holster case. It is sized for a full-sized DSLR body with a lens like a 70-200/2.8, 80-400 or a 100-400 attached and with the hood in the shooting position. It also fits the new Nikon 200-500/5.6 with a pro-sized body with the hood reversed.
- This is one of only a few holster cases available today that holds a full-size DSLR body (including Nikon D3-series or Canon 1D-series bodies) and a 70-200/2.8 or 80-400/4-5.6 lens with the hood in the shooting position.
- Fits a “large or pro-sized body” with “large lens” attached, esp. the 95mm filter diameter of the Nikon 200-500/5.6 or possibly the 500/5.6 PF (the latter is to be confirmed).
- Also accommodates a body with a Sigma 120-300/2.8 lens with the hood reversed.
- When used on a waistbelt, the optional Y309 strap kit is recommended to prevent the top of the case from pulling away from the belt.
- The outside front pocket will hold one shoe-mount flash unit or some prime lenses like a 50/1.4 with the hood attached & reversed (it is unpadded so one should exercise caution).
- Features an “under the lid” pocket for lens caps, lens tissue, CF or SD cards.
- Each side of the holster has a row of webbing with slots sewn into it. This is for piggy-backing a lens pouch or other small Kinesis pouch. To stabilize the pouch, we recommend adding a Y305 strap. A Y208 will also work, but it doesn’t attach to the corners, but instead surrounds the whole case. See captions on detail photos.
- With this case we are providing one pair of Siamese SlikClip buckles for attaching old style Kinesis TwinBuckle pouches to one side of the case. If you need additional Siamese SlikClips, they are available at cost, upon request.
- Designed and Crafted in the USA
C850 Back Story
We have received many reports from those purchasing the popular Nikon 200-500/5.6 that the C750 is just a little too tight, so in early 2017 we took the C750 and enlarged it, creating the C850. It is 50mm (2") larger in the base or nose of the case, where the front element sits, and 20mm (3/4") taller.
C850 Field Reports
- Sony FE 200-600/5.6-6.3 G OSS lens with hood attached in the stowed position with a A7III body attached should fit according to preliminary specs provided by a customer (Nov. 2019).
C750 Field Reports
(The C750 was the “slightly smaller” predecessor to the C850.)
Nikon 200-500/5.6 lens with hood attached in the stowed position with a D3X body attached: Very tight fit and bulges out the base or “nose” of the case a little. Because of the fit, it is slow to remove. Works fine without the hood attached.
“If I had to make a call on whether the C750 is a good choice for the 200-500 and a body, I'd say:
- Yes, if it is used for transportation and protection with the 200-500 lens hood reversed.
- Yes, if the 200-500 lens hood is removed.
- No, if a photographer wants the holster to provide quick access for a body and the 200-500. It isn't the best choice because of the tight fit. (October 2015)
- “I got the bag, C640, very nice, it fit my Canon Mark3 + 400mm 5.6 + 1.4xtc perfectly.” (June 2007)
- Sigma 150–500 lens with tripod foot attached with a Canon body on. “The zipper zips up fine when the hood is turned inward. When I have the hood out, and the [QuickClose] strap over the top of the case and lengthened a bit, I can strap the lid down enough to secure the camera even though it sticks out a bit, of course. Ready to be pulled out for a hand held shot in a second!” (June 2010)
- Sigma DG 150-500/5-6.3 APO HSM zoom lens with a 86mm Ø UV filter and the hood reversed appears to fit fine in the C750 holster case, with the hood attached & stowed (March 2015).
- “I received the C750 X-Large Holster Case today. Just want to let you my Pentax K-3 with the Pentax 150-450 lens attached and the lens hood stowed fits perfectly. I am pleased with the padding and overall quality of the bag. It’s also nice to find products made in America.” (January 2016)
Recent Holster Case Improvements (many of the photos are dated)
Top Opening* = 6d x 7w"
Bottom (nose of the case) = 5.75 x 5.75"**
Inside Height (I.D.) = 16.0"
Volume = 520 cu in (includes pocket volume)
Weight = approx. 14 oz.
Top Opening* = 15d x 18w cm
Bottom (nose of the case) = 14.5 x 14.5 cm**
Inside Height (I.D.) = 40.5 cm
Volume = 8.5 lit (includes 1100 mL pocket volume)
Weight = approx. 455 g
*The C540, C600 & the C850 all have the same top opening dimension. These cases will yield a comfortable fit for a body up to 16cm (6.3") deep or a tight fit for a body up to 17.5cm (6.75") deep (measuring from the tripod thread to the top of the prism). The depth dimension of 15cm (6") is based on the rectangle-shaped opening–DSLR bodies are triangular shaped, so this series of cases will house a body deeper than the rectangular “depth” dimension.
**The bottom of the C850 is approx. 14.5 cm (5.75") square, but it will accommodate a lens end (cap) up to 15 cm (6") in diameter — the front & rear of the case just bulges out a little.
Nikon 200-500 photo courtesy Photography
Designed and Crafted in USA