eoGEAR Saddle Lacing Strap ~ For Selle Anatomica
- Compression strap set for use to prevent the “edge flaring” on Selle Anatomica saddles. This product can be used instead of poking holes in the sides of the leather and “lacing” the sides toward each other.
- Prevents chafing of the inside of the legs.
- Version 1 has two separate straps: one 20mm-wide “over the top” compression strap and a 2nd loose “rear” strap which prevents the “top” strap from sliding forward towards the nose of the saddle. See photo descriptions for more details on how to install it. It is not recommended for use on the new lightweight “Series 2” aluminum-framed saddles.
- Version 2 has one 38mm-wide “over the top” strap with a 20mm Velcro piece sewn to it. It will work with either the Series 1 chromoly or Series 2 aluminum/stainless steel versions.
- Both straps attach using Velcro-like material.
- Additionally, we recommend skiving (sanding or trimming with a sharp blade or using a Dremel) the edges of slot and outer edges of the leather to prevent them from digging into your soft tissue or skin.
- Also consider the eoGEAR Saddle Nose Cover, esp. if you are in the drops a lot or use aerobars.
- It appears this is not an isolated problem as this rider also had similar issues with this saddle and solved it by adding leather lacing to the under side.
Why This Product?
I DNFed (did not finish) my first attempted 1200km (750 miles in 4 days) grand randonnée (or brevet) in 2008 due to saddle sore issues. Two months later, after switching to this saddle, I finished a 1200k (Colo. Last Chance) with zero saddle problems. Prior to completing this 1200, I did find that the SAA saddle created some small amount of chafing on the insides of my legs. This was caused when the saddle was tightened and edges of the saddle flare out. I made a small strap and attached it to the saddle (see Compression Strap photo) which immediately eliminated this problem. Although this technique is not Selle-approved, it works for me. This strap is available free (upon request) with the purchase of a saddle from us.
Of interest are Rivet saddles, which are a successor to the SA. They have wisely riveted the underneath sides of the their saddles to eliminate this problem, however their leathers have a laminate, which reduces the sag of the leather, but in my experience, it also makes the leather firmer and more difficult (if not impossible) to break in.
They are constructed with nylon Omni-Tape or generic equivalent, which is a Velcro-like material, and nylon seam tape (the nylon part that goes over the top of the saddle is only .40mm thick, or about the same thickness as two layers of electrical tape).
Version 1 straps now feature D-rings instead of rectangular loops as shown in some of the photos.
eoGEAR SKU # 6530-K11 (version 1) or 6530-K22 (version 2 or the wide style)
Custom-made in the U.S. by eoGEAR